Sunday, May 21, 2017

Paletteful Packs May 2017 Box

          From the moment I saw this subscription unboxed on YouTube, I knew I wanted it. So I subscribed and waited impatiently for it to arrive. When it did, I didn't open it right away because I had a couple of boxes to review before it...so I hid the box until it was time to open it 😛



          Paletteful Packs on CrateJoy: They have two different boxes, the Young Artist box and the Premier Pack. The Young Artist box costs 29.95 dollars and the Premier Pack box costs 34.95 dollars. The Young Artist box has a selection of art supplies curated specifically for young artists, while the Premier Pack box has a wide range of products from pens to paint. So on to May's box.


          I was very surprised by the contents of the box, a few of the supplies I didn't even understand. I was thrilled. The box has 6 artist grade items with one of the items being a limited edition product. The theme of the box is Sepia.


          The first product I wanted to talk about is the Faber-Castell PITT Artist's Pen Set. The colour of the set...you guessed it, sepia. There are four pens with different size nib widths. It is an India ink and that means it is smudge proof and waterproof once it is completely dry. They are perfect for sketching and inking. I found them on Amazon for 13.07 dollars because they are on sale right now but normal retail according to Amazon is 17.55 dollars. Faber-Castell Pitt Waterproof Odorless Permanent Artists Pen - Sepia


          Dr. Ph.Martin's Bombay India ink is a pigmented ink which is waterproof when dry. You can use it without dilution in technical pens, airbrushes, dip pens, traditional brushes or dissolve it in water to use as a watercolour. On Amazon, the ink costs 9.46 dollars for 1 US fluid Ounce, which is the bottle I had.  Dr. Ph.Martin's Bombay India



          I...didn't know what that was until I looked it up on the internet. The information card that they had with the box called it a Sumi Bamboo Sketching Pen and that it is used for ink drawing but I still was not sure how to use it. Turns out an artist I sponsor on Patreon had a YouTube video about it so I'm going to add it here. I couldn't find the Sumi Bamboo on Amazon but I did find one exactly like it called Yasutomo Bamboo Reed Pen. It costs 10.91 dollars. 




          The next product in the box is the Derwent Intense Pencil. It is a water-soluble ink stick pencil, sort of like watercolour pencils, but it looks more like when you paint with ink. On Amazon, it costs 6.25 dollars. Derwent Inktense Pencil Madder Brown


This is the limited edition product in the box. It is a set of pastel sketching crayons. Besides the black, white, and grey there are shades of brown of which sepia is one. This product is called Conté á Paris.

I found the product on Amazon and it costs 10.99 dollars. Conté á Paris Limited Edition Tin

















          To bring everything together the curators of the box included a Strathmore 80 lb Drawing Pad. This is great to use with pen and ink, pencil, charcoal, crayon, and markers. And in this box, you've got a few things that you can use with it. On Amazon, it costs 5.16 dollars. Strathmore Drawing Pad

          So, was this box worth the 35 dollars? I'd say yes and more. The total cost of all these items on Amazon comes out to 55.84 dollars. Of course depending on where you are in the world and where you shop you may find them cheaper or more expensive. For me, this box was a gold mine and I can't wait to use its products.

No comments:

Post a Comment