Monday, April 24, 2017

Indie Book Connect (April 2017)

          This is a subscription that I came across on Instagram but then later found on Cratejoy. On Cratejoy it says: "Indie Book Connect is a subscription box for the reader who walks into Barnes and Noble and feels like they have read it all. Allow us to introduce you to the wonderful world of independent authors and all of the books that you have been missing out on. Every month you can expect to receive two new fiction books from two separate authors." I was really looking forward to this because everyone talks about the well-known authors but no one talks about the independent ones.
          The first thing I noticed about this subscription is that it is not a fancy one...and that is totally okay. Fancy is nice but in a bookish subscription, it is not necessary. So the package was just sturdy enough to protect the books and that was about it.


          I opened it and pulled out all the books and stuff inside. I looked at all the papers included in the box first before looking at the books.




           So the first thing that caught my eye was that the curators of this subscription have a group on Goodreads to discuss the books that they have included in their subscriptions. I like that. It helps one find reading buddies and someone to chat with about your feelings on the books. The second thing was the beautiful card with a quote and where to find Indie Book Connect online. And finally, a gorgeous bookmark with a link to the shop that it came from so you bet I'm going to check them out whenever I need new bookmarks.
          Now let us look at the books included. The subscription gives you two. The first one that I looked at was Dreamer by M. J. Neal. It is the first book in the series Raphim Rising. It is a fantasy novel, which is a genre that I love to read but have not done so in quite a while. I love the cover and I also love that I've never heard of the author or the book. This is going to be an adventure for me. I also love that they included the first book in the series. Nothing worse than getting the second or third book in a series you've never read or heard of...I usually give those away. The first book in the series though makes me want to try the series out to see if I like it and the writing style of its writer. Good job Indie Book Connect! There was also a card that had the author's information on it and where we can find her. I like that too.



          The second book in the subscription was Last Chance Baby by Ashley Gallegos. This one is a romance novel. This is a genre I used to be interested in but have not been reading a lot of (at least in the m/f category), so again I'm going to go back to my roots in reading. I started out my book dragon status (I refuse to be called a bookworm 😛) reading Mills and Boon books (don't judge!). I love that the book was signed by the author and that they included a Do Not Disturb sign to hang on the door with the book.




          This subscription is a keeper so far. It is a no fuss no muss subscription centred on books and only books, and I love that I am going to get books by authors I've never heard of and books that might not be well known. Widening my horizons is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment