Monday, July 2, 2018

Fountain Pen Friendly Paper

          In a previous post, Fountain Pens and Inks, OH MY!!!, I discussed some of my favorite inks and fountain pens. In this post I'm going to discuss fountain pen friendly paper. I'm going to start with the problems that one might encounter when using fountain pens with paper and then I will list the papers I've used and have worked for me.

Problems:

          These are the problems that you should be aware of when choosing what paper you can use with your fountain pen.

1. Ghosting: this is when you can see a slight image of the writing on the back of the page you are writing on. Depending on your taste, you can try out papers and see how much or little ghosting you can put up with. For me if it is slight enough that I can write and it doesn't interfere with my writing then it is fine. Below is an example of acceptable ghosting to me, your milage may vary.


2. Bleeding: this is when the ink seeps into the paper and you can see it clearly on the other side. It can also sometimes stain the paper underneath the one you are using.


3. Feathering: this is when the ink spreads through the capillaries at the edge of a writing area. You'll always have feathering but how much of it is the key. Below is an example, I had to really magnify it for you to see.


Papers and Notebooks:

          These are the papers and notebooks that I have used with my fountain pens so far. I've tested them out for a bit and they seem to work well for my needs. Again, your milage may vary. All my paper needs are fulfilled by Goulet Pens except where indicated.

1. William Hannah: The papers from this vendor based in the UK are all fountain pen friendly.
2. Rhodia: I've used Rhodia notepads and notebooks and they hold up very well.
3. Clairefontaine: I've used the notepads and notebooks and they are good.
4. Maruman Mnemosyne: I've used a notebook and it seemed okay.
5. Field Notes: Some Field Notes notebooks work great with fountain pens and other don't, trial and error.
6. Original Crown Mill: the paper used here is amazing, also their envelops and cards.
7. Maxi Brite Copy paper: the 80gsm one is amazing, no bleed through or ghosting. Normally I would never use copy paper with fountain pens but this one passes the test. (Amazon or any stationery store)
8. Tomoe River: Some people like this paper but for me they don't work. It is 52gsm and though it doesn't bleed through the ghosting was too much for me.
9. Mead Notebooks: not all of them of course but I have used some which stood up to the fountain pen well with only a little ghosting. (Amazon or any stationery store)
10. Leuchtturm 1917: This works great with fountain pens and many journallers use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment