Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Udemy As a Learning Tool

          Udemy advertises itself as "The world’s largest selection of courses". I don't know if that is true but they certainly have a large selection of courses on just about anything you can think of. Originally I wanted to review a specific course but in the end I opted for reviewing the site as a whole.



ABOUT UDEMY:

  1. Udemy has over 100,000 online video courses with new additions published every month. 
  2. Once you make a purchase, you have life time access to it. A lot of times the information on a course you have already bought is added too or even completely changed and the teachers will send out emails letting everyone of the changes. So you could be done with the course but then the teacher will add another module and an email will be sent to you to let you know. You can then go learn that module too without paying extra since you already bought the original course.
  3. A 30 day money back guarantee, so if for some reason you are not satisfied with the course you can get your money back. I had that happen to me once where I bought a course and then I bought a related one which turned out to be the same course but an older version. I got my money back right away and the author was notified to take the older course offline.
  4. The categories of courses that they have include: Development, business, IT and software, design, marketing, personal development, photography, and music.  
  5. Another thing that I noticed about the site is that they are forever running sales. I used to think that that was interesting until I realized that this was a marketing ploy lol...you know how I learned that? By taking a course on business and marketing from Udemy. The truth is that that is the price range for most of the courses on Udemy, 10 - 20 dollars at the most. For what they teach I think it is good value.
          My experience with the site has been very positive as a whole. I've learned (and still learning) things like business, Korean, Latin, Irish history, Chinese, drawing, watercolor painting, and many other things. 

WHAT I'VE LEARNED:
  1. Make sure you always check on how many hours the course is, they could have tons of videos but they only amount to 1-2 hours and that means that the course is not in depth. If you are looking for an introduction then that is fine but if you are like me and want to learn the ins and outs of a subject as much as possible then the longer courses are the best. 
  2. Make sure that you look at the outline of the course and watch the previews they offer. This allows you to know a few things:
    • like whether this course has what you want to study when it comes to subject matter, 
    • whether the teaching style is something you can learn from, 
    • and whether you can understand the teacher because sometimes the teacher's first language is not English and the accents can be a hurdle for some people.
    I hope that what I shared with you has helped you make up your mind on whether to check out Udemy. In case you do want too here is the link: udemy.com        

    No comments:

    Post a Comment