Wednesday, June 26, 2019

To trace or not to trace...that is the question.

          If you are anything like me then you have tried to study how to draw, taken classes, done all the exercises and read all the books and still suck at it. It might be because my right hand, which is my dominant hand, is a little warped from psoriartic arthritis. So holding a pencil (or any iteration of) for a very long time is out. Also, my perception when looking at things is totally out of wack for some reason. What I see and what I draw turnout to be totally different.  So I bought a light box and started to trace stuff. I always use free pictures on the internet or pictures that the owner gave permission for me to use. I also noticed that sometimes I would trace one thing from one picture and another from another picture and it becomes something entirely new and unique to me. Every once in a while I have this question in my head...should I try learning to draw again? Tracing feels like I am cheating! 
          The other day I was watching one of my favorite YouTube channel and the artist said that she sketches in her sketchbook and then uses a light box to trace her sketch onto watercolor paper. A light went up in my head...how did I not think of this use for tracing? So even people who draw use tracing...granted it is their own work but still tracing is a tool! 
          Another YouTube Channel was also talking about tracing but as a tool for learning to draw. They said that if you trace your hand will get used to drawing and if you practice enough after a while it will become second nature to draw but that everyone has to start somewhere. 
          These are just some musings that were running around in my head that I needed to share. So in the end...to trace or not to trace...that is up to you. But please be careful when you do trace. Make sure that if the picture is not free to use that you ask the original artist or photographer. Make sure they are okay with you using their work. If you sell your work make sure you mention that. Some artists don't mind you copying their work for personal use but will draw the line at selling or using them for competitions. Always, always make sure to mention the name of the artist or photographer when sharing your work online. Give them the credit they are due.   

No comments:

Post a Comment