Monday, June 17, 2019

Learning Korean

       I've been learning Korean off and on since the second half of 2018. However, I decided to finally take it seriously these past few months and since I know quite a few people might benefit from this I'm going to compile a list of resources for you all to look at if you are interesting in learning Korean.
          My first bit of advice is that if you can find a class in your country/area then take that class! It makes all the difference to have someone in front of you checking on your progress as you go. If that is not possible then check out the following websites, books and YouTube channels.

Books: These are ones that I have used or that my teacher has recommended.

1.Hangeul Master: The best way to learn the Korean alphabet.
2. Talk to Me in Korean grammar books Levels One - Six. As well as the Workbooks from Levels One - Five. 
3. My First 500 Korean Words by Talk To Me in Korean.
4. The Korean Verbs Guide Volumes 1 & 2 by Talk To Me in Korean
5. My Daily Routine in Korean by Talk To Me in Korean.
6. Korean Grammar in Use: Beginning to Early Intermediate by Jean-Myung Ahn (Teacher Recommendation I liked it better when my teacher used this book then when I studied it on my own)
7. Real Life Korean Conversations Beginners & Intermediate by Talk to me in Korean
8. Korean Q&A Sentence Patterns by Talk to me in Korean.
9. Sogang Korean 1A: Student's Book by Song-hee Kim and Sogang Korean 1A: Workbook by Song-hee Kim (Teacher's recommendation: This was made for a class though so it might be one you want to skip)
10. Korean from Zero: They have three levels so far and they are really good resources.

Websites: These are ones that I found helpful in my search for knowledge.

1. http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/: this site has a lot of free resources including the grammar books mentioned above with audio files and they go all the way up to level 9. There are no workbooks with them though. They also have a lot of video courses some free and some you have to buy but they are totally worth it.
2. http://www.hangulsoup.com/: this site will help you with verb conjugations.
3. http://www.howtostudykorean.com/: this site has a lot of good lessons.
4. http://www.koreanfromzero.com/: You can find free versions of their books on site as well as the audio files.
5. http://www.koreanclass101.com/: I have to admit I have not used their website a lot but I have used their YouTube Channel quite a bit.

Youtube Channels: Some of these are ones that belong to websites and others are ones that I came across that give great information.

1. Talk To Me in Korean
2. Korean from Zero
3. Korean Class 101
4. Korean Unnie
5. Professor Yoon's Korean Language Class
6. Minji Teaches Korean

Phone Apps: These were the ones I used continuously.

1. Naver Dictionary: Very Important that you get this.
2. Papago: Translator, much better than Google translate for Korean.
3. HelloTalk: if you want to ask questions from Native speakers use this app.
4. Talk To Me in Korean app: has all their lessons and video on it.

Finally, a piece of advice. Watch as many Korean dramas, and listen to Korean music so that you can understand how the language sounds and your ear gets used to distinguishing sounds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment