Friday, March 17, 2017

St. Patrick's Day Composition

          I woke up today with a picture in my head and it was all about St. Paddy's day. I'm not a Christian, but it is still a part of what has come to be Irish culture and as such, it interests me.

          I got out my mixed media paper, put down the background, which I loved, and then I went to work on the lettering for the composition...I finished that part, looked at my page and immediately noticed a few things that I hated. I hated the lettering, and I hated that the paper was big. I usually work with an A5 size and this was considerably bigger. Normally I would have cut the mixed media page to give me two A5 pages to work with. I didn't do that this time and so when I did cut it to the size I prefer I had a lot of green-washed scraps but only one A5 page...oh well. Lesson learned. 

          I must admit that my composition turned into a walking cliche, but I like it, and that is what counts in the end. So let me tell you what I used:

- Strathmore Mixed Media paper (Vellum Surface) 9 in. x 12 in. 140 lb (I usually fold it and get 2 pages of A5 after trimming)
- Watercolours Prang Oval -16 colours (Dixon)
- Watercolours Windsor & Newton (the small palette) 
- The Leprechaun came from an old colouring book that I had and never used.
- Infeel.me washi tape for the border.
- Irish blessing comes from the website: http://www.sengoidelc.com








No comments:

Post a Comment